Threads | Thrift Store
Threads is a fundraising event that the University of Alabama's IJM Chapter has held for the past few years. The event is a donation drive where items are donated through sororities and fraternities and then resold with all proceeds going to IJM.
They've raised thousands of dollars over the years and the event has caught on with other college campuses around the nation!
“Girls went crazy for this event but we even had some guys attend! We’ll definitely do this event every year. It costs very little to put the event on, but brings in so much for IJM!”
– Alabama Chapter Leader
- So how’d they do it? -
- Incentivized and supercharged involvement from multiple communities on campus by partnering with the university's Panhellenic Association to give points to all Greek chapters for donating, attending, and making any purchases.
- Placed donation boxes in every sorority/fraternity house for multiple weeks and built awareness using social media and flyering.
- Collected items & priced them ($5, $10) for resale as part of the Threads thrift event.
- Held event and used Square to process credit transactions.
- Alongside the thrift store items, they set up an IJM information booth and sold cookies, brownies, art, and IJM t-shirts.
Share your thoughts in the comments below!